Individuals can make a claim for rebates on an IR 526 form for:
- donations of $5 or more to an approved charity, or
- payment for childcare or a housekeeper (under certain conditions).
The maximum amount you can claim is:
- the lesser of 33.33% of the total donation you have made or 33.33% of your taxable income
- if you've paid $940 or more for childcare or a housekeeper, your rebate will be $310.
Rebates can be claimed by individuals (not companies, trusts or partnerships) who:
- earned taxable income during the period being claimed for, and
- were in New Zealand at any time during the tax year (including non-residents).
If you claimed a rebate last year, the IRD will automatically send you a rebate claim form in April. Otherwise, you can complete the IR526 form available on the IRD website, print and sign it, attach your receipts and post it to the IRD
Companies (including closely held companies) are entitled to a deduction for donations made in an income year. The maximum deductions it can claim is limited to the amount of its net income calculated before taking into account the deduction.